Monday, August 9, 2010

the negligent blogger/runner

So, this week was not a good week for me either with sticking to my running schedule or blogging about the running that I did do. But tonight I'm getting things back on track.

I didn't do my first run of the week, which was supposed to be a 5k on Tuesday. (Well, I guess my first run was supposed to be intervals on Monday, but I'm not doing those yet because my legs are still trying to get used to this much weekly mileage and I've had 1-2 baseball games every week, which does include sprinting.)

I did do my Thursday 5k but I did it Friday instead of Thursday, which I think is ok, because I had a baseball game on Wednesday and couldn't go Thursday night, so I would have had to run Thursday morning right after playing. Also, I seem to be doing Sunday long games instead of Saturday long days, so a Friday run makes more sense than a Thursday run.

Anyway, I ran my 5k on Friday using my new ipod and using a workout mix where every song is at least 125bpm, which is supposed to help you work out harder. I think it worked because I pumped up my speed (and heart rate) and finished my 5k (3.1 miles) in about 35:12, with miles that were something like 11:17, 11:40, 11:12. I remember them being in that general range (about +/- 10 seconds on each of those splits) but I can't tell you exactly what they were because I have misplaced my fancy GPS watch!

This caused a real problem for today's "6 mile run". Not only did I have a day that was such that I didn't get to start my run until 10pm, but I also couldn't find my GPS watch anywhere. So I decided that I would just go out and run for a longer period of time than my longest 5 mile run (which was about 1hr 8 min). I decided I would run for 1 hr 20 min and even if I ran really slowly, it would definitely be more than 5 miles (b/c even at my slowest, I'm faster than a 16 minute mile). So, I ran for 1 hr and 20 minutes with a 20 minute break in the middle because I ran past my friend Liza's house and she was sitting on her front porch so I stopped to chat.

But there was actually 1hr and 20 minutes of running time. I'm guessing (and by guessing, I mean using google maps and doing some calculations of my own) that I ran about 5.5 miles. It's not 6, but it's a hell of a lot more than 0, which is what I came very close to doing. My legs felt like they were going to fall off by the end of the the run and then as soon as I started walking, they felt like they were going to cramp up along the entire backs of them!

10 weeks til half marathon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment