Saturday, September 18, 2010

8 Miles (Again)

So after taking almost three weeks off of running, I thought I'd better repeat 8 miles for my long run, rather than trying to push it for 9 miles (well, and 8 miles is really pushing it as it is!).

On Wednesday, I did a hill workout. I ran a mile over to Cedervale Park and then ran up this steep hill 10 times. The first 4 I sprinted and then walked down and then sprinted back up. After that I had to switch to jogging up and taking a little bit longer in between times up. My heart was pumping hard and I thought I might throw up a few times, but I didn't.

Today, I had to do my long run. I'm in Chicago visiting my family for the weekend. My running gear (windbreaker, running shoes, running pouch/fanny-pack thing, etc.) took up almost half of my carry-on suitcase (I'm not paying $25 for the inconvenience of checking a bag!), but I did bring it with me.

I ran down by Chicago's lakefront and was very thankful that the thunderstorms that plagued the morning here moved out by afternoon.

At about 3.5 miles, I was pretty sure that I couldn't get 8 miles in. I kept going to 4.5 miles, which was the distance I'd set as my turnaround point. (I like going more than half way before turning around; I find it helps me mentally to know I have less to go than I've already gone, rather than knowing that I have to go the same distance I've already gone.) And I managed to keep going after turning around and made it all 8 miles.

I actually picked up the pace a bit for a couple of miles in the middle and that felt good, but I don't think I'm nearly ready to sustain that for longer than that. I finished the 8 miles in 1:48, which works out to an average of 13.5 minutes per mile.

So, after getting a long run in, I feel that I'm actually back on track with my running. I just have to keep it up, which won't be super easy given upcoming travel for work and then to see my friend Val who will be in Montreal . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment