Monday, October 4, 2010

Digging the Run 10 Walk 1 (or My First Run in Tights)

I did a 5k run today using my new run 10 walk 1 thing. It was my fastest 5k time yet! I think that's pretty cool, especially since at 5k pace, my walking compared to running speed is a lot more significant than at my distance pace. So I had to run that much faster during the run times to make up for it.

I ran 34:35, which is an 11:09/mile average. I ran the first mile in 10:37 (I decided to run the last bit of the mile and start my 1 minute walk after that so that I could see what my mile time would be). Because I was running harder, I got a side stitch for a big portion of the second mile, but it was manageable in part because of knowing that I would get to walk for a minute when I made it through 10 minutes.

I know that running is a lot mental and I know that I have a lot of mental blocks to overcome with running, but I'm still impressed by how much of a difference the run10/walk1 makes for me psychologically!

Oh, I should mention that it's decided to get cold in Toronto. And this morning it was cold when I went for my run. But this weekend, I bought running tights at Mountain Equipment Co-op, so I felt pretty good. And there's nothing that says runner like running tights! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment