Saturday, April 24, 2010

Brooks, Bleach, and Books

The good news: I bought new running shoes today that I love (at least so far). They're Brooks, which is not an endorsement of Brooks so much as it is an excuse for putting another 'b' word in this post's title.

The bad news: Cleaning mold off your bathroom's paint with a bleach-based product does not mix well with going for a run 10 minutes later. Or, at least that's part of my excuse for today's less-than-fantastic outing.

Our bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan and it is too cold to have the window open all the time and apparently the paint in the bathroom is not the mold-resistant variety, so every couple of months I have to clean the mold off the walls and ceiling with this bleach-based bathroom cleaner. (I have to do it because I'm the only one who can reach the ceiling when standing on a chair). Even with the window and door open, the fumes still are a bit noxious and it takes me a while to feel bleach free.

I should have known better than to try to go for my run after the bathroom cleaning, but I had put off the run all day, so I had to get it in before it got dark . . .

Well, I let the bleachy feeling I had act as an excuse for only running one mile (and walking the mile back) instead of running the two. I probably could have done the two miles and just pushed through, but I didn't. And now I'm fessing up (while making excuses). This blog is, afterall, in part my public accountability forum so that I will actually run often and far enough to get up to a half marathon.

My first mile was 11 min. My second (walking) was about 17.5. I do like my new running shoes, though!

More bad news: I am way behind on reading for my comprehensive exams. I have to 50 books (on two lists of 25 books each) and then write exams on those two lists. It's part of the PhD process. Well, between planning for the conference, TAing, working at SLF, and doing other things that are not reading, I am way behind (as in I've only just started reading the first book!).

In order to finish by mid-June, which is when I would need to finish reading in order do my oral comps defense in early August (there all sorts of things that have to happen between finishing the reading and doing the oral defense), I would have to read 1 book a day, every day (weekend, holiday, work day, etc.) I need to talk to my supervisor about all of this. It kinda seems impossible. I'm meeting with my supervisor Tuesday, so I'm assuming we'll work something out . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment