Saturday, May 15, 2010

Farther and faster

Obviously that's the goal (farther and faster) in a running training program, but it's nice when it actually happens.

Today was my long run day, which just means it's me adding distance to whatever the farthest I'd run before was. My previous farthest was 3.2 miles. Today I went 3.53 miles (and I didn't die or have to walk).

I ran the same route as my previous 3.2 run (the one I complained and complained about last week because running was so hard) and then added three blocks on the end. So I got to check my watch as I flew (ok, maybe not quite flew) by the end of that 3.2 run (my house). Last time I ran it in about 39 minutes. Today I ran it in 36! I shaved 3 minutes off my previous time (and since it wasn't the end of my run I hadn't even done my last block or two 'kick'). I finished the 3.53 miles in 39.5 minutes. Bringing my average speed to 11.2 minutes per mile!

The thing is that I actually much prefer running a bit faster (in the 11 min mile range) rather than a bit slower (in the 12-12.5 minute mile range) because running too slowly actually feels like more work; it's as if I have to make myself pick up my feet each stride. Maybe it's just that it's so much closer to a fast walk that it's easier for my body to almost just fall into the walk? I'm not sure. What I did today, though, was tell myself that I would just run at that slightly faster pace until I needed to slow down and then I would, but then I just kept running at it. About halfway through my lungs had a little issue but they overcame it.

Anyway, this next week is going to be a weird one because baseball season starts. I have practice tomorrow, a game Monday night, and a game Thursday night. Maybe I'll do light run Tuesday (loosen up from the game), day off Weds (well stretching, of course!), game Thursday, and then, depending on how I feel, either a longer run on Friday or Saturday. Or maybe a shorter run on Friday and a longer run on Sunday.

I'm going to have to get to the point where I can run 4 days a week, even with baseball, but for right now, I'm going to try to give my body a chance to adjust to all this new activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment