Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Runnin' Had Me a Blast

I so did not want to run tonight. I got home at 8:30pm and knew that I had a 5k in front of me but all I wanted to was lounge around.

But thanks to some encouragement from Sarah (and, the fact that I now have a training schedule to stick to), I got out the door and did my 3.1 miles.

I loved it. Sure, the first half mile my calves were a little tight and I wondered if I'd hit a groove, but by the time I'd finished the first mile and was starting to hit the uphill portion of the run, I was feeling good.

Running uphill for the second mile (not the whole second mile, of course, but a few portions of it) felt surprisingly good. My pace slowed a bit but I felt strong and happy.

The third mile was downhill and my pace quickened accordingly. I got my pumping and my stride lengthened and with my head high I ran a strong third mile (and extra tenth) to finish off my 5k in much higher spirits than I'd started it.

One of the things that I've discovered is that I like destination runs a lot more than loops. It gives the running a purpose; it becomes a mode of transportation in addition to being exhausting exercise. :) Since I've been looking for apartments, my destinations have all been apartments I'm looking at. Running to them (and back) gives me the opportunity to check out the neighborhood (and stalk the apartment).

Today I ran to a place that was 2 miles away that I'll be viewing at 11 tomorrow morning.

I'll have to pick a place for my Thursday run. Of course, if I like the apartment tomorrow, there's a good chance I'll run their on Thursday again to check out the neighborhood more in daylight. :)

Here was my pace and heart rate:
Mile 1: 11:56 139bpm
Mile 2: 12:20 155bpm
Mile 3: 10:50 161
Mile 3.1: 10:02 pace 174 bpm

Average: 11:39 152bpm
Total: 36:09

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I walk, I always try to have a purpose. I find it is much more motivating to walk to the store to pick up a birthday card (or something along those lines)!
    Glad you are back at it and feeling strong!

    ReplyDelete